Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Birth Story - Nolan

Monday morning I had my 39 week Dr. appointment. Before we left, I packed my hospital bag and declared to Jared, "I'm not coming home tonight!" I was so determined to have the baby. At the appointment I mentioned to my mid wive that I was a little concerned because the day before I felt like the baby didn't move as much as normal. Usually at night when I would lay down he would go crazy moving back and forth and kicking. I still felt him move through out the day, there was just no real "active" period. They decided to run a stress test. They noticed that occasionally the babies heart rate would go down for no apparent reason. They decided to send me over to the hospital for more testing. At the hospital they hooked me up for more monitoring. After a couple hours they decided to order an ultrasound to check the babies movements and fluid levels. The babies movements looked great but the fluid levels were on the lower end. With all things combined they decided to admit me and induce labor.

It was now about 4:00pm . I was already having some contractions so when they gave me the hormone it threw me into labor. For two hours I sat in the room by myself checking Facebook and playing words with friends. By 6:00pm the contractions were coming every two minutes and starting to get pretty painful. I called Jared at work and told him to come. Soon after the midwife checked me and I was dilated to 4cm. After that things got painful and honestly I don't want to have to think about it again so we'll just say at 9:00pm they broke my water, by 9:15pm I started pushing and at 9:34pm baby boy Nolan was born. His cry was piercing, seriously, it's nothing like a newborn cry.

An interesting tidbit, Nolan was born with a "true knot", which is a knot in his umbilical cord. Luckily it was pretty loose but at any point could have tightened. This may or may not have been the reason for his stats to drop, but we are so blessed all worked out! Also, when the nurse measured his chest they were shocked by the size, we call it the Salter back, they are huge and they are not fun to push out!

Nolan pooped before they were able to weigh him so the mid wife thinks we has actually closer to 9 lb


Unfortunately this is what labor and delivery looks like...


The next day meeting their brother...




3 comments:

Charity said...

Congratulations!!!

Erinn said...

Congratulations and welcome baby Nolan!

Erin said...

congrats! Glad in the end everyone was healthy and happy! what a cutie, james family produce the big chests too! He is beautiful!