Saturday, June 30, 2007

Reasons why we are bad parents



It is very common in Hungary for people (usually the little old ladies and women) to come up to you and tell you what they are thinking. It comes from their "the village raises a child mentality". When I was pregnant I got yelled at a couple of time because I wouldn't sit down when I was riding the street car one stop. They would tell me I'll hurt the baby etc. Lately Jared and I have been hearing what we are doing wrong as parents. It's getting pretty comical, so I thought I would share. These are things we have heard over the last six weeks...

"she's too young to be outside" (we've gotten this one multiple times)

"she shouldn't be out in this weather" (it was a hot day)

"her arms are rubbing" (in the baby bijorn)

"her neck is kinked" (in the baby bijorn)

"that can't be comfortable for her" (in the baby bijorn)

"she should be more covered"

"it's too loud for her, I feel sorry for her" (as we exited the movie theater last night)


I'm sure there will be more to come.

5 comments:

jenn said...

I wish that I kept a list of all the ridiculous things people used to say to me in NY ... good idea!

Cara said...

All the old Asian women on the Geary strip tell me I'm too young to be a mom. "How old are you, 20?" I'm often mistaken for the nanny and once someone even asked if Sienna and I were sisters! They're always shocked when I tell them I'm almost 30! Scarlett is a darling little girl :)

Rachel said...

It's so true. That happens in Las Vegas too!

Ashley said...

ok, but who is the lady in the picture?

Kelli Salter said...

some random Hungarian I found on google images :)